Slow Cooked Beef Ragu
October 12, 2021
- 1 kg chuck beef cubed
- 1 tbsp. Salt
- Black pepper
- 3 tbsp. Olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 onion diced
- 1 cup carrots chopped
- 1 cup celery sliced
- 800g tinned tomatoes
- 3 tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 beef stock cubes
- 1 cup red wine
- 1.5 cups water
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs (or about 3/4 tsp. Dried flakes)
- 3 dried bay leaves
- 500g dried pappardelle (or pasta of choices)
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese and fresh chopped parsley for serving
- Pat beef dry and sprinkle with salt and pepper
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil over high heat in a heavy based pot. Add beef and sear each piece aggressively on all sides until very browned (3 - 5 minutes in total), then remove onto a plate.
- Turn stove down to medium low and add remaining 2 tbsp of olive oil. Add garlic and onion and sauté for 2 minutes. Then add the carrots and celery and sauté slowly for 5 minutes.
- Turn heat upto high, add wine, stir and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Transfer it all to the slow cooker and add all remaining ingredients. Slow cook on low for 6 - 8 hours (6 is enough, 8 hrs is fine, any more and the beef turns into mush).
- Shred: Remove beef then coarsely shred with 2 forks. Return beef to the pot. Simmer for 30 minutes until sauce is reduced and thickened - beef will soften slightly more during this step.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve with pasta. Is even better the next day and can freeze very well for one month.
One for the entire family to obsess over.
Enjoy LN x
Search By Tags